Immigration - Moving to the Netherlands

If you want to work, study or just to live in The Netherlands there are things you will need to take care of. Below we have listed the most common things:

Dutch government immigration

The Dutch Government launched a website where you can fill in your profile and you will see a list of subjects that are relevant for you, with links to information from the organizations concerned.

Legalising foreign documents
Any foreign documents you present to the Dutch authorities have to be legalised.

Social insurance and secondment
If you start working in the Netherlands, you will become insured in the Netherlands against illness, maternity, disability, accidents at work and occupational illnesses and unemployment, and you will be covered by the schemes for old age pension (AOW), survivor benefit (Anw), and child benefit (AKW). This is only relevant if your stay is not temporarily by a non-Dutch employer.

Income tax return
As soon as you take up residence in the Netherlands, the Dutch Tax Administration considers you to be a resident taxpayer from the moment you reside in the Netherlands. If you do not live in the Netherlands, you may still be liable for Dutch income tax if you work in the Netherlands, or earn an income in or from the Netherlands.

Valid driving licence
In certain cases you can exchange the driving licence that you received outside the Netherlands for a Dutch driving licence. This is only possible if you are registered as a resident of the Netherlands and have a valid residence permit.

Valid proof of identity

It's compulsory for everyone in the Netherlands aged 14 years and older to carry a proof of identity.
The documents accepted are: Passport, European identity card (Identiteitskaart) and Driving licence.

Ask the expert